The term gun death is being increasingly used by many people because it has become so frequent a phenomenon. The issue of gun control is tied to the problem of gun death in that many people believe that stricter gun control laws will be able to check the number of incidents of gun death.
Some countries of the world have been concerned with the problem of gun death and tightened gun control laws. They have reported a dramatic improvement in the situation, as revealed by gun death statistics. Australia, for example, has found that it has been able to reduce the incidence of gun death by about 60 per cent after they brought in strict gun control laws.
Gun control facts reveal that the United States has the problem of too many guns owned by its people. This can be seen from the fact that people in the US own about half the number of all the privately owned guns in the world which is abnormal when considered along with the fact that the population of the United States is only about 5 percent of the population of the world! Such abnormal gun ownership is bound to result in an abnormal gun death rate. This is confirmed by gun death statistics that show that when the number of gun deaths is worked out for a population of 100,000 citizens, the US is ranked well below South Africa.
The stumbling block for the efforts to control gun death by controlling gun ownership is created by the anti gun control groups, of whom the National Rifles Association (NRA) is the most prominent. The NRA, which has never participated in a meaningful gun control debate, and seems to be totally unconcerned about gun crime statistics and has been using its power to influence the legislators. The NRA is reported to be threatening legislators that they will be defeated in the primaries due to the efforts of the NRA, if they choose to support proposals for stricter gun laws. The fact that some legislators have been framing rules which would make it difficult for organizations like the CDC from even making an assessment of the gun violence seeks to confirm the undue influence of the NRA on them.
Gun death statistics are staring at our faces. They demand that we take notice of what is happening around us and that we do something to bring down the incidence of gun death. Gun crime statistics have always been pointing towards the direction in which gun control has to move. The need of the hour is not more of a gun control debate but effective action by the government.
This is the picture presented by gun death statistics.
1) Our country has just 5 percent of the population of the world. But it has 50 percent of the guns in the world. We can be happy if our country shares a disproportionately high proportion of the resources of the world, not the privately owned guns of the world!
2) Another information presented by gun death statistics is that in homes that have guns, women and children face a higher risk of gun death. This is not a hypothesis but a scenario indicated by gun control facts. This fact demolishes the argument of the pro gun lobby that owning guns will make people safer since people can defend themselves from criminals.
3) Gun death statistics compiled over the world present an interesting picture. There are countries that have implemented strict gun control facts. The result has been that there are fewer murders. This shows that gun control does work.
4) Australia is one of those countries that have made the gun control laws tighter. Gun death statistics for this country show that gun violence has come down by about 60 percent . This is too emphatic a result that cannot be attributed to factors other than gun control.
5) Gun death has its effect on the economy as well. Gun death statistics for the United States show that the country has been suffering an annual loss of close to four billion dollars on account of gun crime.
We have spent enough time discussing the gun control pros and cons so thoroughly that nothing is left to be discussed. The only thing we need to do is to accept the severity of the problem as pointed out by gun death statistics and take steps to bring in a strong gun control legislation.
Traditionally, a gun control debate will dwell on familiar arguments that have been heard several times by every one. But with new gun control facts emerging very frequently, the gun control debate has become more lively. There is no dearth of gun death statistics to be used in advancing the cause of tighter gun control laws. However,figures have to be correctly interpreted if they have to serve any purpose.
An argument that can be used in a gun control debate is about the share of gun death in homicides. Murders otherwise called homicides are committed by various means. The methods may vary from strangling with bare hands to killing with various kinds of weapons like guns, knives, clubs, sharp instruments etc. But surprisingly, a vast majority of homicides, 60 percent to be specific, are committed using guns. When this point is brought out in a gun control debate, people will realize the danger potential of guns.
Another factor that should be highlighted in a gun control debate is from the gun crime statistics. People who are interested in understanding gun control pros and cons will be definitely disturbed by the disclosure made in a gun control debate that 30,000 deaths per year result from guns in the United States.
A gun control debate can also bring about the link between different types of gun control facts by explaining how the different sets of statistics corroborate each other. The fact that nearly half of all the privately owned guns are in the US will be a shocking fact when viewed against the fact that the US population forms just 5 percent of the population of the world.
Unfortunately, a gun control debate may have no impact on certain groups. Notable among these is the National Rifles Association (NRA) which makes no secret of its policy that it will not compromise its opposition to any form of gun control. Since the NRA uses the concept of democracy to justify its stand, people interested in a gun control debate should enlighten the organization that democracy means a fight against tyranny and that gun control is a part of this fight.
I would like to write a gun control article. You may ask me why. There are so many gun control articles doing the round already. What difference will one more article make? It may not. Still I would like to write one. I am not a great writer. But I think writing skills are not needed to present some gun control facts.
The idea of my writing a gun control article is to join the gun control debate in my own humble way. What can I add to the plethora of arguments discussing gun control pros and cons? One thing I would like to include in my gun control article is some gun death statistics. The reason I want to do this is that I believe that facts and figures can convey a message more powerfully than logical and rhetorical statements. You might have come across some of this information in other gun control articles. But I would like to present them in such a way that my readers will be able to draw some quick conclusions without going through the voluminous writing on the subject of gun control. I am listing the gun control facts I plan to discuss in my gun control article.
1) Americans are the largest gun owning group in the world. About 50 percent of the guns available in the world are owned by us. What is wrong with this? Nothing except the fact that we constitute only about 5 percent of the population of the world!
2) Considering the information given above, it can only be expected that a greater proportion of Americans would be having guns, Yes, the expectation is right. But the holding is a bit high. The population of guns in our country is close to the population of people in our country. This indicated by the ratio of 89 guns for 10 people!
3) We can see the consequence of the above two facts. More than half of the homicides in America are committed with guns. The ratio is 60 percent. More guns lead to gun crimes. This seems to be the logical connection
4) I will also include a disturbing fact in my gun control article. It is about the safety of children and women. Studies show that women and children are likely to become the victims of gun violence, if the house they live in has a gun!
Gun death statistics cant be taken lightly as other kinds of statistics, sometimes, are. Human life is precious and death is a word that will create an instant feeling of discomfort in anyone. Gun death is not like any other death because it is a death caused by murder. So what do gun crime statistics say?
Though people are used to read reports about crimes in the newspapers everyday, reports of homicides invariably cause revulsion and panic. Taking a human life away using a firearm is perceived as gruesome by everyone. So whether the victim of a gun death is someone known to you or not, you invariably sympathize with the victims family and develop a feeling of intense contempt towards the killer. Statistics relating to homicide show that more than half of the homicide deaths are caused by firearms. In terms of percentage, gun deaths are 60 percent of the homicide deaths.
Another factor relating to deaths caused by firearms is that if we consider the number of gun deaths for 10,000 people, America is ranked below South Africa. The fact that a larger proportion of US citizens are killed by guns than their counterparts in South Africa is bound to stir our collective conscience as a nation. Gun control debate gets hotter with the issue of gun control itself coming to the fore.
Children are the precious treasure of our nation. They are our future. Therefore anything adversely affecting the safety or future of children should be a cause of concern to all of us. Gun control statistics reveal that American kids can get hold of a gun very easily since most of them know where the guns are kept in their houses! This raises the question of making our children vulnerable to the use of guns and causing a gun death without their being aware of the consequences of their action. Another aspect of the childrens vulnerability is revealed by the finding that wherever we have more households possessing guns, we have greater number of children among homicide victims.
A gun death is not an isolated event affecting an individual. It affects the nations economy also. You may be surprised to know that gun deaths result in a loss of about $4 billion per annum to the US Economy.
Gun control facts should urge us to woke up to the gun death threat.